The right accessories can help elevate any space, and one of my favourite ways to finish off a scheme is with a sculptural vase – the kind of statement piece that will make a shelf, table, sideboard or windowsill really sing. There are plenty of gorgeous designs to choose from, and I’ve picked out 24 of the best to get you started.
All the below vases combine a timeless, minimalist aesthetic with eye-catching shapes. They’re beautiful decor items in their own right and just as striking when empty as they are when filled with flowers. What’s more, you don’t need to spend money on elaborate bouquets, as they work brilliantly with dried grasses, foraged foliage and even bare branches. As always, I’ve included options for all budgets, as well as a variety of sizes, materials and opening types, meaning there’s something to suit any kind of arrangement, from bunches of big, blousy blooms to single stems.
- Muuto 35cm stoneware ‘Ridge’ vase in beige (also available in terracotta and off-white, and in 16.5cm and 48cm sizes), £89, Trouva [AD – affiliate link]
- Cooee Design 30cm ceramic ‘Tulipa’ vase in ‘Hazelnut’ (also available in ‘Linen’ and ‘Sand’, and in a 20cm size), £45.15, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- 101 Copenhagen 26cm ceramic ‘Sphere’ vase in ‘Moss’ (also available in ‘Ice Blue’), £49, Heal’s
- Louise Roe 22cm ceramic ‘Pirout’ vase in ‘Sanded Grey’ (also available in ‘Raw White’ and in a 42cm size), £126.80, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Lene Bjerre 33cm stoneware ‘Catia’ vase in black (also available in white and ‘Silver Grey’, and in a circular 23.5cm size), £36.40, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Ferm Living 36cm off-white stoneware ‘Vulca’ vase (also available in a 45cm size), £149, Someday Designs
- Danielle Witte for Lindform 18.5cm beige ceramic ‘Stam Vase No.3’ (other sizes in the ‘Stam’ series also available), £39, Lifestory
- Menu 33cm smoked-glass ‘Aer’ vase (also available in 19cm and 49cm sizes), £152.90, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Bloomingville 24cm amber glass vase, £35.15, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Iittala ‘Alvar Aalto’ vase, available in numerous colours and sizes (shown here is 25cm ‘Clear’), £53.49-£217.70, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Georg Jensen 23cm stainless-steel ‘Flora’ vase (also available in a 50cm size), £127, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Urban Nature Culture 45cm matt-white earthenware ‘Twisted Classic’ vase, £115, Tea + Kate
- Made in the Woodshed 25cm oak free-form vase (with a glass test-tube insert for water), £45, Your Kind Lifestyle
- Grace McCarthy 21cm ceramic ‘Rainbow’ vase in black (also available in white, ‘Sand’ and ‘Dark Sand’), £75, Artists & Objects
- Kristina Dam 16.8cm glass ‘Dual’ vase in ‘Ochre’ (also available in 27.8cm ‘Cream’ and 22.3cm ‘Sand’; all can be used either way up), £67.15, Utility Design
- &tradition 40cm glass ‘Collect’ vase in ‘Smoke’ (also available in ‘Clear’ and ‘Caramel’, and in numerous other sizes), £182, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Cooee Design 30cm ceramic ‘Drift’ vase in ‘Vanilla’ (also available in ‘Pepper’ and ‘Walnut’, and in 17cm and 55cm sizes), £50.30, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Limited-edition stoneware ‘Holos’ vessel by Viv Lee, available in various sizes and colours (shown here is ‘No.8’ in ‘Medium Bluff’), £180-£300, Lifestory
- ‘Zayl’ 14cm 3D-printed vase with glass insert in ‘Olive’ (also available in ‘Lark Beige’, ‘Charcoal’ and ‘Cinnamon’), £46, MADE.com [AD – affiliate link]
- Borja Moronta 21cm warm-white ceramic ‘Bottle III’ vase (other sizes and colours in the ‘Bottle’ series also available), £90, Artists & Objects
- Cooee Design 30cm glass ‘Gry’ vase in ‘Cognac’ (also available in ‘Clear’ and ‘Smoke’, and in a wider variant), £71.50, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Louise Roe 32cm ‘Balloon’ vase in black glass (also available in ‘Mud Brown’, ‘Raw White’, ‘Sanded Grey’ and ‘Sky Blue’ ceramic), £203.30, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Storefactory 24cm ceramic ‘Bunn’ vase in light grey (also available in dark grey), £49, Lifestory
- Ferm Living 47cm mouth-blown glass ‘Water Swirl’ vase in ‘Smoked Grey’ (also available in ‘Amber’, ‘Light Yellow’ and ‘Moss Green’), £132, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
Above: Ferm Living’s ‘Water Swirl’ vase in amber; Cooee Design’s ‘Gry’ vases in two colours and sizes; Grace McCarthy’s ‘Rainbow’ vase; and a selection of Iittala’s iconic ‘Alvar Aalto’ vases, designed by the famed Finnish architect in 1936
As well as the above, it’s worth keeping an eye on independent ceramicists who open their online shops when they have new work to sell. My favourites include Tracy Dixon and Studio Brae, who craft stunning pieces with clean lines, matt glazes and neutral colours. I’m also a huge fan of Bristol-based potter Reesha Zubair, whose tactile vessels are inspired by her native Maldives and important women in her life.
Above: handmade vessels by Reesha Zubair and Tracy Dixon
Finally, don’t discount vases with unglazed interiors. You may not be able to use them to display anything that needs water, but they’re ideal for dried flowers, branches and the like.
Please note this post contains affiliate links (all clearly marked), which means I will receive a small commission on any resulting sales. You won’t pay any more by clicking on these links than you would by visiting the websites directly.
Second-to-last image by Abi Dare; all other photography via the brands and makers named above